Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm back.

I've been absent from the blog for awhile; I think I just needed a mental break from obsessing about writing about basketball after having my heart broken back in April.

With that, we've got 17 minutes until the lottery, so here are some quick thoughts before it all goes down.

*I don't wanna hear another word about how the Heat has more at stake than the Grizzlies. If the Grizz don't get a 1 or a 2, they might as well just pack up and ship out of town now. The Heat has Dwayne Wade. We've got... Rudy Gay?

*If the Grizz actually eschew their ill-fated luck and manage to draw the first pick but don't choose Derrick Rose, I am officially going to burn down Michael Heisley's house (Only kidding! Don't call the police on me, please!). If they can't realize the significance of this kid to the city then, unlike the Tigers, they officially have no connection to the fabric of Memphis and should just leave. If this happens, Memphians won't be merely ambivalent about the Grizzlies anymore; I truly believe that with a Beasley pick at number one, the city's only big time sports team will be actively disliked by much of the city. Selecting Rose is a way to sell tickets and to boost interest; more importantly perhaps, it's a way to help the city get past how the season ended for us. I understand how and why Michael Beasley is a technically better fit than Derrick is, but in this case the emotional/cultural impact is way more important.

I realize that my entire last bullet point was a total girl thing to say, but I do not care because it's the patent truth. I also realize that I shouldn't be wasting my time writing about this when the ping pong balls are still rolling around in the hopper. So with that, bring on that number one pick and bring on Derrick Rose.

No comments:

About Me

Jamaica Plain, MA, United States